Photo credit: Ying Zhang
Muhammad Aamir Cheema
The news are not regularly updated.
Muhammad Aamir Cheema is currently a Senior Lecturer at Monash University and an Adjunct Lecturer at UNSW.
He obtained his PhD from UNSW Australia in 2011. He was a lecturer at Monash from Nov-2013 to Dec-2015. Prior to this, he was a Research Fellow (2011-2013) at School of Computer Science and Engineering at The University of New South Wales (UNSW), Australia. He obtained his Ph.D. degree (2008-2011) under the joint supervision of Prof. Xuemin Lin and Dr. Wei Wang from UNSW, Australia. He received Masters by Research degree in Computer Science and Engineering from UNSW, Australia (2005-2007) under the supervision of Prof. Xuemin Lin.
He completed Bachelor of Electrical Engineering from UET Lahore, Pakistan, from 2001 to 2005.
He is the recipient of 2012 Malcolm Chaikin Prize for Research Excellence in Engineering, 2013 Discovery Early Career Researcher Award, 2014 Dean's Award for Excellence in Research by an Early Career Researcher. His PhD thesis was nominated for SIGMOD Jim Gray Doctoral Dissertation Award and ACM Doctoral Dissertation Competition. He has also won two CiSRA best research paper awards (in 2009 and 2010), two "one of the best papers of ICDE" (in 2010 and 2012), and two best paper awards at WISE 2013 and ADC 2010, respectively. Some of his service roles include PC co-chair for ADC 2015, ADC 2016, 8th ACM SIGSPATIAL Workshop ISA 2016, and International Workshop on Social Computing (IWSC) 2017, proceedings chair for DASFAA 2015, tutorial chair for APWeb 2017 and publicity co-chair for ACM SIGSPATIAl 2017.
- Winner of 2014 Dean's Award for Excellence in Research by an Early Career Researcher.
- Our paper titled Probabilistic n-of-N Skyline Computation over Uncertain Data Streams received The Best Paper Award at WISE 2013 and invited to Special Issue of WWWJ on Best Papers of WISE 2013.
- Winner of Discovery Early Career Researcher Award 2013.
- Winner of 2012 Malcolm Chaikin Prize for Research Excellence in Engineering. The news has been covered by various Pakistani news resources such as Dunya TV,
Technology Times (English),
Technology Times (Urdu),
Pakistan State Times,
Pakistan Science Club and
- Our paper titled "Efficiently Monitoring Top-k Pairs over Sliding Windows" was invited to special issue of IEEE-TKDE on "Best Papers of ICDE 2012".
(Authors: Zhitao Shen, Muhammad Aamir Cheema, Xuemin Lin, Wenjie Zhang, Haixun Wang).
- In ICDE 2011, all authors were invited to present a poster in addition to a regular 20 minutes presentation. Our poster won
Poster of the day award at ICDE2011.
- Winner of 2010 CiSRA Best Research Paper Award for the paper titled "Influence Zone: Efficiently Processing Reverse k Nearest Neighbors Queries",
(Authors: Muhammad Aamir Cheema, Xuemin Lin, Wenjie Zhang, Ying Zhang).
- Winner of 2009 CiSRA Best Research Paper Award for the paper titled "Lazy Updates: An Efficient Technique to Continuously Monitoring Reverse kNN",
(Authors: Muhammad Aamir Cheema, Xuemin Lin, Ying Zhang, Wei Wang, Wenjie Zhang).
- Our paper titled "Multi-Guarded Safe Zone: An Effective Technique to Monitor Moving Circular Range Queries" was invited to special issue of IEEE-TKDE on "Best Papers of ICDE 2010".
(Authors: Muhammad Aamir Cheema, Ljiljana Brankovic, Xuemin Lin, Wenjie Zhang, Wei Wang).
- Best Paper of ADC (Australasian Database Conference) 2010 for the paper titled "Counting Distinct Objects over Sliding Windows",
(Authors: Wenjie Zhang, Ying Zhang, Muhammad Aamir Cheema, Xuemin Lin).
- Winner of ACM@UNSW 2005 programming competition.